Monday 8 April 2013

The location for The Viking's Apprentice

How do authors choose the locations for their books?

I can't speak for everyone, but for The Viking's Apprentice I chose the location based on a town I know well. My wife grew up in a very small town in West Scotland called Furnace. Furnace is located on Loch Fyne and is several miles from the nearest town in any direction. At night it is deathly quiet and the stars shine like nothing you would see in the city.

There is one Inn, one shop, one very small school and several small streets. To me it was the perfect location for The Viking's Apprentice. A place where children go on their summer holidays to stay with relatives. I. myself, used to go to a town not far away for my summer holidays to stay with my aunt and uncle.

To turn Furnace into Campbell's Cove all I had to do was remove the quarry and replace it with a cave system and a new street. I turned Loch Fyne into the Ocean and my perfect location was born. Once you read The Viking's Apprentice you will appreciate the atmosphere that the location helps build.

Here is a photo of Furnace from the air. On the right hand side is the quarry which has been taken out of my village otherwise the layout remains pretty much the same.


As you can see from the photo the town is very secluded and right on the water, perfect for the story line of The Viking's Apprentice

Please visit my website at www.kevinmcleodauthor.com or email me @ kevinmcleodauthor@gmail.com

my twitter account is @bannon1975

No comments:

Post a Comment

subscribe